Your chickens will be PROUD to call this Hobbit Hole their home!
Our Hobbit Hole chicken coops not only look great, they have all the great design features you'd expect in a top of the line chicken coop, and then some. The Proudfoot coop measures 85" x 51" x 52"H and we recommend it for up to eight standard breed chickens or up to 12 bantams, depending on the size of the breed and the amount of time your flock will be spending inside the coop.
The low-to-the ground entry makes this design a great option as a duck house as well. We'll deduct $50 off the price of the coop for eliminating the perches and nesting boxes in a "duck coop" application.
*NOTE: Most companies selling coops will use an "industry standard" of 2 square feet per bird on their housing recommendation. The spacing recommendations we give are based on 4 square feet per bird (based on standard breed size), which is what we personally adhere to with our own chickens.
The coop comes with a total of 8' of perch space on two moveable perches that are 6 inches off the ground. The coop also comes with a double nest boxes (two nest boxes total) that you can position inside the coop to your ladies' liking. Both the perches and nest boxes can be removed from the coop for easy cleaning. The back clean out door has an inset "pop" (chicken) door so you can allow your birds free access to the coop during the day if desired.
Chickens a chore no more
Enjoy life with chickens even more with our well designed coops. A large rear clean out door gives easy access to the coop interior. Our removeable and re-positionable perches and nest boxes can easily be removed from the coop for a thorough cleaning, and they're out of the way when you want to clean the rest of the coop.
Choose our optional removable floor liner to clean your coop in a fraction of the normal time without ever getting on your hands and knees. A handle on either side of the vinyl floor liner lets you simply fold the litter covered liner toward the center of the coop and slide it out the back door to empty into a waiting wheelbarrow. Clean/sanitize the liner, and replace. The heavy duty 40 mil vinyl material will hold up to just about anything you can put it through.
Keep your flock safe
Heavy duty gate latches keep the front and back doors of the coop securely closed from prying predators. Each window opening in your coop is covered with predator proof 1/2" x 1/2" square galvanized steel hardware cloth, and the windows can be latched securely closed when not in use with the installed hook and eye latch.
Comfort in any season or climate
Maintaining healthy air quality is as important for chickens as it is for people. The Proudfoot coop boasts five functional windows to help you maintain healthy temperature and humidity levels in your coop. Each plexiglass window can be latched open as desired, and the window opening is covered in 1/2" galvanized steel hardware cloth to keep unwanted visitors out. Windows can be latched securely closed when not in use.
The coop kit comes standard with solid v-match pine roof decking and straight edge cedar clapboard roofing, with a waterproof underlayment, edge flashing tape, a cedar ridge cap, a screw layout jig, and stainless steel screws. The clapboards come in a mix of one-pieced and two-pieced courses. Hand cut "live edge" cedar clapboard roofing upgrade is available.
For chicken keepers in northern climates we recommend protecting your flock from extreme temperatures on cold winter nights with our optional floor insulation.
Quality Construction; Made in Maine, USA
We take great pride in our unique and functional designs, and we wouldn't dream of ruining them with inferior quality products or shoddy craftsmanship. From top to bottom, our coops are built to last. You wont have to deal with rotting wood that compromises the integrity of the coop and the safety of your flock, and your animals will feel protected and stay dry even in the worst weather.
- The base of the coop sits on four 2x4 skids made of pressure treated lumber.
- The coop floor is sheathed in premium grade Advantech brand subflooring.
- The curved rafters that create our signature "Hobbit Hole" roof design are made with multiple layers of plywood laminated with a high quality non-toxic wood glue that are then bent on our custom glue press.
- Curved trim and fascia pieces are made of laminated strips of Eastern White Cedar.
- Coop walls, trim and roof deck are all constructed of solid Northern White Pine sustainably harvested from the forests of Maine and the Canadian Maritimes.
- The Eastern White Cedar clapboards used to make our roofing* is custom sawn at a local sawmill and further processed by hand at our workshop.
- We use only high quality exterior grade hardware and fasteners, including stainless steel fasteners used in the roofing installation, preventing unsightly streaks down the side of your beautiful roof due to corroding metal.
- We source our materials from local, independently owned businesses whenever possible to support our friends, neighbors, and rural economy.
What to expect when you order one of our coops
We will build your coop in our workshop in central Maine where the focus is on quality rather than quantity. Our coops typically ship in 2-4 weeks, but lead times can be as much as 8 weeks on orders placed during the busiest months of the year (April and May). If your order is time sensitive, please contact us prior to placing your order for a current lead time. We will notify you when your coop has shipped and provide you with assembly instructions (if needed) before the coop arrives.
The Proudfoot coop ships as a ready-to-assemble kit with screws, hardware, driver bits, and instructions needed for assembly.
Your order will be delivered by appointment by a third party common carrier. We ALWAYS request lift gate delivery service, but please be aware that in some cases a lift gate is not available, in which case the customer will be responsible for unloading. In these instances customers can usually partially uncrate the Hobbit Hole and unload from the delivery truck by hand. We do our best to facilitate communication between you and the carrier to make delivery go as smoothly as possible.
For an extra charge you can have your coop factory assembled. Please note that Liftgate Delivery service is not available with the Factory Assembly option, as the fully assembled crated coop is too large for a liftgate. The crated Proudfoot weighs approximately 450 pounds.
All wood will arrive untreated and requires treatment with a wood sealing product within a few months, whether an exterior paint or stain, or a clear coat sealant.
You will receive top notch customer service from the same people who design and build the product, Rocy and Melissa Pillsbury.
Customer satisfaction is our HIGHEST priority!!
Call or email us with questions: 1-855-462-2484
Options to select from to customize your coop:
- hand cut "live edge" cedar clapboard roofing upgrade-- all courses are one-pieced courses
- removable washable floor liner to simplify coop cleaning
- floor insulation
- factory assembly
- attached run option is currently only available for delivery and assembly-- Run is 10' wide and available in 6', 9' or 12' lengths. Please contact us with your location for a quote-- email@example.com or 855-462-2484