Coop Ships Fully Assembled! (assembly required for run)
The "Lightfoot Coop with Attached Run" not only looks great, it has all the great design features you'd expect in a top of the line chicken coop, and then some. The Lightfoot coop measures 62" x 35" x 48"H and the attached run is 56" x 72" x 45"H. We recommend it for up to four standard breed chickens or up to six bantams, depending on the size of the breed and the amount of time your flock will be spending inside the coop and contained in the run.
*NOTE: Most companies selling coops will use an "industry standard" of 2 square feet per bird on their housing recommendation. The spacing recommendations we give are based on 4 square feet per bird (based on standard breed size), which is what we personally adhere to with our own chickens.
The coop comes with a total of 4' of perch space on a moveable perch that is 10 inches off the ground, and a freestanding nest box that you can position inside the round front door of the coop for easy egg retrieval. Access the interior of the coop for cleaning through the hinged roof!
Chickens a chore no more
Enjoy life with chickens even more with our well designed coops. A hinged roof gives easy access to the coop interior. Our removeable and re-positionable perches can easily be removed from the coop for a thorough cleaning, and they're out of the way when you want to clean the rest of the coop.
Choose our optional removable floor liner to clean your coop in a fraction of the normal time without ever getting on your hands and knees to scrub the floor. A handle on either side of the vinyl floor liner lets you simply fold the litter covered liner toward the center of the coop and lift it out the roof opening to empty into a waiting wheelbarrow. Clean/sanitize the liner, and replace.
Keep your flock safe
A heavy duty gate latch keeps the front door of the coop and back door of the run securely closed from prying predators. A sliding panel pop door operated from outside the run can be secured in a closed position after your birds have gone inside to roost for the night. Each window opening in your coop as well as the entire run is covered with predator proof 1/2" x 1/2" square galvanized steel hardware cloth.
Comfort in any season or climate
Maintaining healthy air quality is as important for chickens as it is for people. The Lightfoot coop has a functional window on both the front and back walls to help you maintain healthy temperature and humidity levels in your coop. Each plexiglass window can be latched open as desired, and the window opening is covered in 1/2" galvanized steel hardware cloth to keep unwanted visitors out.
Our custom cedar clapboard roofing option comes standard on the "Lightfoot Coop with Attached Run", which includes a waterproof underlayment over the v-match pine roof deck before installing the final layer of cedar clapboard roofing. Since the roof also covers two sides of the coop, the multiple layered construction of the roof as well as the shiplap pine sheathing on the two gable walls minimize the chilling effects of cold windy conditions.
For chicken keepers in northern climates we recommend protecting your flock from extreme temperatures on cold winter nights with our optional floor insulation upgrade.
Quality Construction; Made in Maine, USA
We take great pride in our unique and functional designs, and we wouldn't dream of ruining them with inferior quality products or shoddy craftsmanship. From top to bottom, our coops are built to last. You wont have to deal with rotting wood that compromises the integrity of the coop and the safety of your flock, and your animals will feel protected and stay dry even in the worst weather.
- The base of the coop sits on three 2x4 skids made of pressure treated lumber.
- The coop floor is sheathed in premium grade Advantech brand flooring that will hold up under years of high moisture conditions.
- The curved rafters that create our signature "Hobbit Hole" roof design are made with multiple layers of plywood laminated with a high quality non-toxic wood glue that are then bent on our custom glue press.
- The curved rafters used in the construction of the run as well as the coop trim and fascia pieces are made of laminated strips of Eastern White Cedar.
- Coop walls and trim are all constructed of solid Northern White Pine sustainably harvested from the forests of Maine and the Canadian Maritimes.
- Run framing is made entirely of Eastern White Cedar.
- The Eastern White Cedar clapboards used to make our roofing is custom sawn at a local sawmill and further processed by hand at our workshop.
- We use only high quality exterior grade hardware and fasteners, including stainless steel fasteners used in the roofing installation, preventing unsightly streaks down the side of your beautiful roof due to corroding metal.
- We source our materials from local, independently owned businesses whenever possible to support our friends, neighbors, and rural economy.
What to expect when you order one of our coops
We will build your coop in our workshop in central Maine where the focus is on quality rather than quantity. Our coops typically ship in 2-4 weeks, but lead times can be longer during seasonal peaks. If your order is time sensitive, please contact us prior to placing your order for a current lead time. We will notify you when your coop has shipped and provide you with assembly instructions for the run before the it arrives.
The Lightfoot Coop with Attached Run comes with the coop fully built and the run as a kit with hardware and instructions needed for assembly. You will need to purchase two 10' lengths of 2x4 cedar or pressure treated lumber to complete the assembly.
Your order will be delivered by appointment by a third party common carrier. We ALWAYS request lift gate delivery service, but please be aware that in some cases a lift gate is not available, in which case the customer will be responsible for unloading. In these instances customers can usually partially uncrate the Hobbit Hole and unload from the delivery truck by hand. We do our best to facilitate communication between you and the carrier to make delivery go as smoothly as possible.
The Lightfoot coop plus run weighs approximately 400 pounds.
All wood is untreated and we strongly recommend treating the exterior with a wood sealing product within a few months, whether an exterior paint or stain, or a clear coat sealant.
You will receive top notch customer service from the same people who design and build the product, Rocy and Melissa Pillsbury.
Call or email us with questions: 855-462-2484
Options to select from below to customize your coop:
- removable washable floor liner to simplify coop cleaning
- Warm weather comfort option: round screen door insert
- Cold weather comfort option: floor insulation